There are a lot of quotes out there that try to capture the experience around losing someone you love. Some of them are honest and raw, others try to offer perspective. Some are encouraging while others are spiritual. Grief quotes aim to put into perspective the emotional trauma and healing associated with losing a loved one.
The thing about grieving is that no two people do it the same. One person’s experience won’t match anothers. But there is one universal truth about loss: grief is the price of love.
This statement is as beautiful in its simplicity as it is honest in its definition. Grief is the price of love. If you love, you will grieve – that is a given. And the deeper the love, the harder the loss.
Below we are sharing 10 grief quotes about losing a loved one that resonated with us in the days, weeks, months and now years after losing our mom:
1. “Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves, ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim. “
- Vicki Harrison
2. “What we once enjoyed and deeply loved we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes part of us.”
- Helen Keller
3. “I am more vulnerable than I thought, but much stronger than I imagined.”
- Sheryl Sandberg, Option B: Facing Adversity, Building Resilience, and Finding Joy
4. “The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not ‘get over’ the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will heal and you will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same nor would you want to.”
- Elisabeth Kubler-Ross and David Kessler
5. “To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die.”
- Thomas Campbell
6. “To have been loved so deeply, even though the person who loved us is gone, will give us some protection forever.”
- J.K. Rowling
7. “Her absence is like the sky, spread over everything.”
- C.S. Lewis, A Grief Observed
8. “It takes strength to make your way through grief, to grab hold of life and let it pull you forward.”
- Patti Davis
9. “When someone is in your heart, they're never truly gone. They can come back to you, even at unlikely times.”
― Mitch Albom, For One More Day
10. “Grief can be the garden of compassion. If you keep your heart open through everything, your pain can become your greatest ally in your life’s search for love and wisdom.”
Shop our Grief Gifts to send a thoughtful gift package to someone going through loss.